Monday, August 18, 2014

Boho Fringe Statement Necklace DIY




I've been planning on putting together a boho-inspired necklace tutorial for some time now, so I came up with this faux leather and stone statement collar the other day to bring out the gypsy in you...I think it came out pretty well! I've included a template for the collar below, or you can free-hand the shape. Nothing is more in the spirit of the gypsy/boho style than handcrafting your own jewelry, and using whatever materials you can find will give your piece its own unique look. Best of all, it's super simple.

---------------------------------------TUTORIAL---------------------------------------
Supplies
Black vinyl or similar faux leather fabric (one 8.5"x11" piece for the necklace; three 16" strips each about 6mm wide for the braided cord)
Craft glue (I used Aleene's Jewel-It Embellishing Glue)
Scissors
Needle & thread in a color similar to your faux leather
Assortment of beads and stones
Template for collar (optional; see step #1)




Directions
1. To begin, you can either print out the template below (on a piece of 8.5"x11" letter sized paper; set printer to borderless printing) and use that to create the shape of the necklace, or just freehand your own design. My own shape was just slightly longer at the bottom than the template (I wanted the fringe to hang a little lower). After you've cut out your necklace, cut the bottom half of the necklace into strips (approximately 2" from the top).

8.5"x11" template. Click to enlarge.


2.  I found some pretty pear shaped rhinestones and arranged them around a large, milky disc bead to make the necklace's focal point. The rhinestones had to be glued on, so I used Aleene's Jewel-It glue and let it dry overnight (though a couple of hours will probably suffice).

3. Using different stones, I played around with different patterns until I found one I liked, then I used a needle and thread to sew them in place.

4. Once my beads and stones were sewn/glued on, I strung some gold acrylic beads on the fringe strips at random intervals and tied knots below them to keep them in place.

5. Take the faux leather and cut three long strips, each measuring about 6mm wide and 16" long. Braid these strips into a long braid, tying knots at each end and leaving about 3" unbraided. You may need to increase the length of the braid if you think you'll have difficulty slipping it over your head.

6. String beads on one of the loose strips at the end of the braid to embellish. Tie a knot below them to secure. Repeat for other end of the braid.

7. Using scissors, fold one of the top ends of the necklace in half and cut a small slit horizontally into the fabric. Do the same for the other end.

8. String the strips on one end of the braid through one of the slits, pull around the back and tie off above the beads (around the braided part) to secure. Do the same for the other side. Aaaand you're done!

 

 

That's it! Happy crafting :) If you make something inspired by this tutorial, I'd love to see it! Leave me a comment or a link.

Pinned here, please share! 
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/420312577696880988/ 
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/420312577696881040/

2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! Thank you for the template and directions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy it :) Happy crafting!

      Delete